Travel Goods Industry News: COVID-19 Coronavirus From Travel Goods Association
TRAVEL GOODS INDUSTRY UPDATES: COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS FROM TRAVEL GOODS ASSOCIATION, U.S.A.
UPDATED MARCH 26, 2020
From the grounding of travel, to slowdowns in our supply chains, to the systemic retail shutdowns across the country – our industry is one of the hardest-hit. And even though many of you are having revenue challenges, we know that you still have expenses to pay, from personnel and product to rent and utilities.
The future of our industry is at stake. We want you to know that the Travel Goods Association is fighting for you, and fighting for our industry, every day.
TGA COV-19 Response
- Letter from TGA President Michele Marini Pittenger
- TGA is working to ensure that COVID-19 legislation includes a stimulus package and tariff relief to help retailers and manufacturers survive this crisis. We have signed on to the following industry letters to the administration:
- Specifically, TGA is lobbying for:
- Tariff relief – immediate elimination of all punitive tariffs on U.S. travel goods imports from China and immediate refund of all punitive tariffs paid to date
- Greater access to capital – to inject much needed liquidity into the system
- Tax credits to keep workers on payrolls
- Financial assistance to small businesses
- Duty deferral
- TGA members can contact TGA Director of Government Relations Nate Herman to learn how to contact Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to defer your duty payments, email@example.com, 202-853-9351.
- SBA Disaster Loans
- The U.S. Small Business Administration is processing thousands of Disaster Loan Applications. You can apply for up to $2 million for economic injury because COVID-19 has disrupted your business: https://bit.ly/TGASBA. If you already have an SBA disaster relief loan you can still apply, and your existing loan payments will be automatically deferred until the end of the year. Because of the high volume of loan applications, SBA recommends applying online.
- Facebook Small Business Grants Program
Additional Resources and Best Practices
- NRF Coronavirus Resources for Retailers page
- Follow this NRF page for retail-specific updates including state-by-state resources and daily snapshots of stimulus legislation
- Coronavirus Travel Restrictions: The Ultimate List
- New website compiles the most recent international travel restrictions https://www.coronavirustravel.com/ to help your clients make informed decisions. (Produced by the owner of travel sites GoLastMinute, BeachDeals, and Bamgo)
Retailers Thinking Outside the Box
COVID-19 Travel Industry Corporate Citizenship
- Victorlite Luggage packed 500 pieces of luggage with medical supplies including masks, wipes, glasses, gloves, thermometers, disinfectant and liquid soap. The luggage was donated to doctors and nurses fighting COVID-19 in China.
- The American Hotel and Lodging Association announced a new initiative called Hotels for Hope, which connects hotel properties with members of the health community who are struggling to find housing and support during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to AHLA, the initiative has already identified over 6,500 properties located near healthcare facilities that are ready to support health professionals and first responders who may need temporary housing. AHLA says hotels interested in joining the initiative can volunteer by filling out an online form.